Plaridel High School – Then and Now
Plaridel High School was first organized in January 1949 by Arellano University authorities upon the request of students enrolled at Juan Sumulong High School but residents of Mandaluyong. It was named after the great writer, soldier and nationalist, Marcelo H. del Pilar and his Propaganda movement.
The school had a very humble beginning. It was first housed in the ground floor of Flor-Premar Building on Jocson St. Mandaluyong with no less than 76 students and 5 teachers.
In 19551-1952 the institution grew in population reaching the 1230 mark making it reasonable for putting-up its own building. The present site was acquired and an L-shaped building of light materials with a quadrangle at the middle was constructed.
The 50’s marked the growth of student politics and cultural activities for Plaridel High School. One of the best projects that enhanced the prestige of the school then was the publication of a school organ, ‘The Plaridelian’, a bi-monthly paper with Eduardo Soriano as its first editor and Jose de Guzman as its first adviser. Its first copy came out in 1954.
In 1960, the population increased to 1546 and the construction of a two-storey semi-concrete building was undertaken.
Within the next 2 years, the old building was demolished and a new three-storey concrete building was put up with 30 classrooms, including a library, a guidance room, a medical dental clinic and offices.
Among its best accomplishments in 1968-69, Plaridel High School won the championship for 10 consecutive weeks in the Current Events Contest, a Saturday show, “Stop, look and listen’, a famous television show. The students who competed were Isabelita Gapuz, Meriam Pasetes, and Gloria Guiao.
Since then Plaridel High School has stood as a landmark in the city of Mandaluyong pressing onward to newer and greater achievements of the future, as an institution which has continuously turned out numerous graduates who have made their mark in various fields of endeavor.
At present we run the high school department, the kindergarten, Grade I and Grade II and the College Department with the following programs: AB Psychology, Bachelor of Secondary Education & Elementary Education, BS Criminology, School of Hospitality and Tourism Management, Information Technology and Accounting Technology. Moreover, we have applied for the permit to operate Grade III and Grade IV in the coming school year. Likewise application for Grade V and Grade VI have been passed to DepEd.
Arellano University Plaridel High School could not have been what it was and what it is now if not for the noble vision of the late Founder, Florentino Cayco Sr. He served as inspiration to those who continued his legacy.
AUPC Alumni Association with Mr. Bert Palma as president has made possible the success of the 75th Diamond Jubilee celebration of Plaridel Campus on March 15, 2013 and granting recognition to Monsignor Daniel Sta. Maria, Class Valedictorian of Batch 1959 and now Parish Priest of Hearts of Jesus and Mary Parish.
To the Arellano University Plaridel Alumni, Congratulations and May you continuously serve your people!
Recently on November 4, 2014 Arellano University Plaridel Campus and the City Government of Mandaluyong granted recognition to 9 outstanding public servants of the Mandaluyong City and alumni of Plaridel High School and 3 special awards in various fields and categories.
Truly Arellano University Plaridel High School has paved way to quality service in the field of education from then on.
It was a long journey from the dream to be a doctor, and then, along the way, becoming a
Banker, and finally, to be a school manager. But to AVP Cristina Bernardo, it was such a joyful ride. And she looks forward to this new job – as she had done in previous endeavors – as a new challenge, a new opportunity to be of service.
Graduating from the College of Holy Spirit with the degree of BS Medical Technology, she planned to take medical course and be a doctor, but fate led her to work in a bank. This was the Family Savings Bank, now known as the BPI Family Savings Bank after it was merged with the Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI).
MA. CRISTINA F. BERNARDO
Assistant Vice President, Plaridel Campus
Being a non-business graduate, she decided to take up her Master of Business Administration at the University of Santo Tomas, where she graduated in 1993. This launched her into a successful 37 years of bank experience, where she specialized in promoting and marketing the branch and its products, establishing customer relationship and ensuring a high level of customer satisfaction , growing the branch portfolio and make each client profitable.
Over all these years, she went through experiences she hoped to bring to Arellano University: training and coaching the school personnel, preparing them to become leaders, not only in the school but in their communities; developing the consciousness for quality improvement, innovation and customer relations, and improving the brand image of the school.
She became involved in various socio-civic organizations, as secretary of Ayala Business Club West Chapter composed of Ayala companies like BPI, BPI Family Savings Bank, Ayala Land, Ayala Corporation and Globe Telecom ; Galing Pilipino Movement or GPM , Habitat for Humanity and the Catholic Womens League or CWL. She regularly contribute to Unicef and World Vision and has supported the BPI “recyclables fair” where she often turn over the recyclables items in which proceeds from the disposal are donated to the Cainta, Rizal based Tahanan Walang Hagdan Inc.
She has been married to a civil engineer who was also a barangay captain but was killed when he ran for his second term last October, 2010. This prompted her to file her candidacy as substitute candidate for her husband where she got a landslide vote and won the position. She was involved with livelihood projects like the coal and bag making in which the materials came from the leaves and other waste products.
Although her wish is to have at least 3 children she was blessed with only one, a daughter who is a neuropathologist at St. Lukes Hospital , a consultant at Quirino Memorial Medical Center and who had her fellowship program at Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota.